Modern Foreign Languages
French is taught to all year groups. In Year 6 and 7 emphasis is very much on oral work but a little written work is introduced. In the teaching of French, authentic material is used to give the children an overall cultural awareness of the country and its people.
The benefits to pupils at Chesswood Middle School in foreign language learning are:
- To develop linguistic competence and confidence.
- To extend knowledge of how language works.
- To explore differences and similarities between their own language and French.
- To raise cultural awareness and tolerance.
- To reinforce knowledge, skills and understanding developed in other subjects.