Operation Encompass - Domestic Abuse
Operation Encompass is a Police and Education early intervention safeguarding partnership supporting children and young people exposed to domestic abuse.
When the police attend an incident of domestic abuse or violence in the homes of our pupils, the school will be informed before 9:00am the following day, as part of the Operation Encompass process.
The police will share information, via email, with the Designated Safeguarding Lead giving the basic details:
- Whether the child was present – Y/N
- If they ordinarily reside at the location – Y/N
- If they ordinarily reside with an involved party – Y/N
- Time and date of incident
- Time and date of police attendance
- Sussex police reference
- Child’s name and date of birth
- Relationship of Involved parties to child
- Did the child witness the incident – Y/N
- Child spoken to by police – Y/N
The DSL will share the information, in strictest confidence, with key adults in school including class teacher.
If the child was present at the time of the incident, a member to our Chesswood pastoral team will respond in a sensitive and understanding manner, offering support and giving them the opportunity to talk about how they are feeling, if they wish to.
If you have any concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to contact either Sally Harvey or Jez Himsworth on 01903 204141.
If you would like further information on Operation Encompass or domestic abuse services, please see the links below.
Safe In Sussex
West Sussex Support